I bought a new NordicTrack X32i treadmill a month ago and have also got the iFIT subscription to get access to personalized training and on-demand classes to achieve my fitness goals.
However, on random workout sessions on the treadmill, I wanted to stream some motivating movies or TV shows on Netflix.
I started Googling to find a way to install Netflix on the tablet attached to my treadmill.
After reading some solution articles, I learned that the NordicTrack tablets do not allow direct installation of third-party apps.
Folks on community forums also suggested attaching a smartphone or tablet through a separate stand to the treadmill.
I finally figured out how to watch Netflix on any NordicTrack tablet and a way to generate a response code to enter the privileged mode.
To install Netflix on your NordicTrack tablet, access the Privileged Mode. Tap 10 times on any area of the tablet that won’t initiate an action. Wait for 7 seconds and tap 10 times again. Once the privileged mode is activated, open any browser to download and install the Netflix APK file.
Activate Privileged Mode To Enable App Installation On Your NordicTrack Tablet
The NordicTrack treadmills or bikes are equipped with a tablet that allows you to access on-demand Global Workouts, Studio Classes, and Live Events through the iFit app.
With the iFit app pre-installed, you cannot directly download or install third-party apps such as Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, etc. on the tablet.
However, activating the privileged mode allows you to get the best out of your NordicTrack tablet as it unlocks new features including the installation of several third-party apps.
A privileged mode simply grants you administrator permissions that are usually restricted on the NordicTrack tablet by default.
Follow these steps to access the privileged mode on your NordicTrack tablet:
- Turn on your NordicTrack tablet and wait for the iFit home screen to appear
- Tap 10 times on any area of the tablet that does not activate a program (usually located on any of the dark edges or near the corner of the tablet)
- Wait for 7 seconds and tap 10 times on the screen again
- A popup message saying “Setting privileged mode to: True” will appear on the screen
- Swipe up on the bottom of the screen and tap on the Circle icon
- The privileged mode home screen should appear with several apps like Browser, Gallery, Camera, etc.
- You can now open the browser and download the APK file of any app such as Netflix to install it on the tablet
Unlock Privileged Mode On Your NordicTrack Tablet
If your NordicTrack machine is running on the latest firmware version, the privileged mode may be disabled by iFit.
This action was taken to prevent users from installing third-party apps or unlocking extra features on their tablets instead of using the default iFit app content.
Every time you try to access the privileged mode, a pop-up message will appear asking you to contact customer care and enter a code.
There are two ways to unlock the privileged mode on your NordicTrack tablet- Using the Reset button and generating a new code.
Use The Reset Button
The reset button in the form of a pinhole is usually located at the back side of your NordicTrack treadmill/bike tablet.
As the exact location of the pinhole may vary, you can refer to the owner’s manual for more information.
Performing a factory reset will revert the changes made by iFit and unlock the privileged mode again.
Follow these steps:
- Unplug your NordicTrack machine from the wall outlet
- Wait for about 10 seconds before plugging the machine back in
- While the NordicTrack tablet is restarting, insert a paper clip inside the pinhole to press the Reset button and hold it
- The Installing system update screen will appear on the tablet
- Once the factory reset is complete, you will be prompted to connect to a WiFi network
- Make sure that you choose not to connect to your WiFi network yet
- Follow the above-mentioned steps to activate the privileged mode
- You can now access the privileged mode home screen
Generate a New Code
The above method restricts you from updating the firmware on your iFit tablet. This means that the privileged mode will be disabled again if you end up updating the firmware.
However, there’s an alternative way to access the privileged mode without factory resetting your NordicTrack machine.
You can generate a new code and enter it without having to contact customer care as mentioned in the popup message on the tablet screen.
- Tap 10 times on the NordicTrack tablet screen in an area that won’t activate any program
- Wait for about 7 seconds and tap 10 times again
- A pop-up screen will appear and ask you to enter a code to access the privileged mode
- Visit the Get Response Code website on your smartphone or laptop and enter the code that is available on the NordicTrack tablet screen
- A new code will be generated on the website
- Enter the generated code on the tablet and tap on Submit
- You should be able to access the privileged mode on your NordicTrack tablet now
Instructions To Install The Netflix App On Your NordicTrack Tablet
Now that you’ve got access to the privileged mode on your NordicTrack tablet, you can install the Netflix app on it.
However, you download the app directly from the Google Play Store on the tablet. You need to download the APK file for the Netflix app and install it instead.
The installation instructions are as follows:
- From the privileged mode Home screen, launch Browser
- Visit the official Netflix website on the browser
- Log into your Netflix account and tap on your profile name on the top right corner
- Select Help Center from the available options
- On What do you need help with? search bar, type APK, and search for it
- Tap on the READ ARTICLE button
- Navigate down the article and tap on Click here to download the Netflix app
- Close the Browser app and open the Downloads
- Once the Netflix app download is complete, tap on it and select Install
- You may need to allow access to the Browser to install third-party apps
- Once the installation is complete, tap on Open to launch the Netflix app
- Log into your Netflix account and start streaming
Enjoy Streaming While Working Out On Your NordicTrack Machine
It’s possible that you may face compatibility issues while installing the APK file of Netflix on your NordicTrack machine from the official website.
Try installing the latest version of the Netflix app from a third-party website like Apkpure.
NordicTrack and iFit have been releasing regular firmware updates to restrict the use of privilege mode.
They claim that the block on privilege mode requiring a response code improves the safety and security of the fitness machines.
Such blocks may likely prevent the installation of third-party apps such as Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, YouTube, etc. making it even more difficult to bypass the imposed restrictions.
In that case, the best way to use your streaming apps while working out is to mount a TV or monitor in your workout space.
You can get the best out of streaming on several platforms by connecting the TV or monitor to a streaming device like Roku, Amazon Fire TV Stick, etc.
As an alternative, you can also try attaching an Android tablet or iPad through a separate stand to your NordicTrack machine and get access to multiple streaming apps.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it okay to watch movies or TV shows while on a treadmill?
You can watch movies or TV shows on a treadmill while avoiding craning your neck or holding on to the sides of the treadmill. However, ensure that you’re able to maintain your focus completely on the workout rather than on the show or movie you’re watching. It’s highly recommended to watch music and workout videos for the best motivation.
Is it safe to watch Netflix on a NordicTrack tablet?
While it’s usually safe to watch Netflix or any other streaming app on your NordicTrack tablet, the company claims that as the tablets aren’t designed to run any third-party apps, it can affect the safety and security of your NordicTrack machine. As an alternative, you may choose to install a TV in your workout space to watch your favorite movies, videos, or TV shows.
Why does my Netflix app crashes and returns to the iFIT home screen on the NordicTrack tablet?
The Netflix app may crash due to incompatibility issues on the NordicTrack tablet. You can try reinstalling it to fix the issue. If you’ve downloaded the Netflix APK file from the official Netflix website, try using the latest version of Netflix from any third-party app such as Apkpure or Apkmirror.
What does the iFit subscription with the NordicTrack machine include?
iFit enables interactive training sessions with global workouts, high-energy studio classes, and professional trainers from around the globe. The iFit family membership allows you to create up to 5 adult profiles that can work seamlessly across multiple NordicTrack machines.