As a huge fan of Naruto, Attack on Titan, and Death Note, Crunchyroll has been pure bliss for anime enthusiasts like me.
The platform offers almost all anime movies or series for free and early access to the latest anime content for premium users.
As a regular user, I’ve got an annual Mega Fan subscription to Crunchyroll for seamless, ad-free anime streaming and early access to exclusive anime titles.
Last week, I couldn’t wait to catch up with my anime watchlist on the big screen of my brand-new Samsung Smart TV.
I tried searching for the Crunchyroll app on the TV but couldn’t find it.
Going through online forums and relevant blogs, I learned that the app isn’t officially available on Samsung TV.
After spending another hour browsing to find alternative ways of streaming Crunchyroll on TV, I finally got it running on my TV and completed my watchlist! Here’s what worked for me:
To stream Crunchyroll on Samsung TV, couple it with a compatible streaming device such as FireStick or Roku. Connect it to your TV via an HDMI cable and download the Crunchyroll app to start streaming.
Connect a Compatible Streaming Device
To watch Crunchyroll on your Samsung TV, couple it with a streaming device that supports the app.
You just have to add the Crunchyroll app on the streaming device if you’ve already got one at your home.
If not, I’d recommend you go for a streaming device to get the best out of streaming on your Samsung Smart TV.
Streaming devices offer the best content from the most popular over-the-top (OTT) platforms such as Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, etc.
Though some of these apps are already available on your Samsung TV, there’s a chance of app crashes, frozen apps, or slow streaming issues with time due to the less processing power of Smart TVs.
Streaming devices work on the latest software and high-end processors to provide a seamless streaming experience across almost all available channels/apps.
Follow this process to run Crunchyroll app through a streaming device on your Samsung TV:
- Connect the streaming device via HDMI cable on your TV
- Switch to the correct HDMI port where the device is plugged in
- Once the streaming device’s home screen appears, add Crunchyroll under the apps/channels section
Stream On Samsung TV’s in-built Browser
Most Smart TVs have an in-built internet browser.
You can stream Crunchyroll by visiting their website on your Samsung TV.
Follow these instructions:
- Click on the Home button on your Samsung TV remote
- Once on the Home screen, go to the Apps section
- Search for the internet browser or navigate right till you find it
- Open the browser and enter crunchyroll.com on the search bar
- Click on your favorite anime on the Crunchyroll website and start streaming
It might be a bit difficult for you to scroll through the website using the TV remote.
I’d recommend using a wireless keyboard and mouse to make it easier and more comfortable for you to click, stream or search your favorite content.
To connect the wireless keyboard and mouse to your TV, just plug in the nano wireless receiver in the USB slot.
If you don’t have a wireless mouse & keyboard available, you can buy one at an affordable price online on Amazon or eBay.
Mirror Your Smartphone/PC To Samsung TV
One of the easiest methods to get Crunchyroll running on your Samsung TV is to mirror it with your smartphone.
Almost all smartphones have a screen-sharing feature that allows users to mirror their phone screen on the TV.
Based on your smartphone, the default screen-sharing feature may vary.
For example, Samsung phones have the SmartView feature while iPhone has Apple Airplay as its default screen-sharing option.
Cast Crunchyroll via Smart View (Samsung Phone Users)
If you’ve got a Samsung smartphone, you can use the SmartView feature to stream Crunchyroll on the Samsung TV:
- Ensure that your Samsung TV and phone are on the same network connection
- Open the Quick panel on your phone by swiping down at the top of the screen
- Now tap on Smart View and select your Samsung TV from the list of available devices
- Based on the TV model, you may be required to enter a PIN displayed on your TV screen
- Click Allow once the notification appears on TV to grant permission to connect your phone
- A pop-up message on your phone will ask “Start casting with Smart View?”
- Click on Start Now
- Open the Crunchyroll app on your phone to start streaming
Cast Crunchyroll via Apple AirPlay (iPhone Users)
If you’re an iPhone user, make use of the Apple AirPlay tool to cast Crunchyroll on your Samsung TV:
- Connect your iPhone and Samsung Smart TV to the same WiFi network
- Ensure that the Apple AirPlay is turned on in the Samsung TV settings
- To do this, go to Settings > General > Apple AirPlay Settings
- Check if Airplay is turned on
- Now open the Crunchyroll app on the iPhone and start streaming your content
- On your iOS device, open the Control Centre and tap on AirPlay
- Select your Samsung Smart TV from the device list
- You may need to enter a code that appears on your TV screen to connect
- The Crunchyroll content is now watchable on your Samsung TV
Note that not all Samsung Smart TVs currently support Apple AirPlay.
Here’s a list of Samsung TVs compatible with AirPlay:
- Samsung QLED 8K Q9, Q8 Series (2019, 2020)
- Samsung QLED 4K Q9, Q8, Q7, Qx Series (2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021)
- Samsung UHD 8, 7, 6 Series (2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021)
- Samsung FHD/HD 5,4 Series (2017, 2018, 2020)1
- Samsung Serif Series (2019, 2020)
- Samsung The Frame Series (2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021)
- Samsung The Sero Series (2019, 2020)
Cast Crunchyroll Via Screen Sharing (Other Android Devices)
Similar to the above two methods, here’s how to cast Crunchyroll via other android devices on the Samsung TV:
- Make sure that the android device is connected to the same WiFi network as your TV
- Open the default screen-sharing feature or app on your smartphone
- Select your Samsung TV from the list of devices available and connect
- Now open the Crunchyroll app on your android device and enjoy streaming on the TV
Use Crunchyroll App Through A Gaming Console
Except for highly-entertaining games, gaming consoles also offer access to several streaming services.
It’s a win-win for you if you’ve got a gaming console at home as you can easily stream Crunchyroll on your Samsung TV through it.
The gaming consoles that support the Crunchyroll app include PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo Switch, etc.
Follow these steps to get the Crunchyroll app on your gaming console:
- Open the app store of your console on the Samsung TV
- Search for the Crunchyroll app
- Install and log into your Crunchyroll account
- Start streaming your favorite anime content
It’s worth using a gaming console to stream Crunchyroll on your TV if you’ve already got one at your home.
However, I’d recommend not buying a new gaming console just to stream Crunchyroll.
Go for a streaming device in case you’re willing to invest some extra dollars for streaming purposes.
We’ve already discussed the benefits of using a streaming device on your Samsung TV.
Connect Laptop/PC Via HDMI
Another effective way to stream Crunchyroll on your Samsung TV is to connect your laptop or computer to the TV using an HDMI cable.
Simply stream Crunchyroll content on the laptop browser and the TV will start displaying it.
Your TV might detect the laptop source automatically but in case it doesn’t, just change the TV source to the HDMI port in which the cable is plugged in and you’re good to go.
Complete Your Anime Watchlist on TV
Crunchyroll is one of the best anime streaming platforms that offer thousands of anime movies and series for free.
Moreover, premium users have access to the latest and exclusive anime titles within hours of their release in Japan with professionally subtitled Japanese dubs.
An alternative way to stream anime content via Crunchyroll is to couple a streaming device on your Samsung TV.
Some of the popular streaming devices that support Crunchyroll are Amazon Fire TV Stick and Roku.
It’s worth investing some extra bucks on streaming devices as they offer the best streaming experience on almost all over-the-top platforms.
Almost all Smart TVs including Samsung TVs have a built-in internet browser that can be used to access anime content on the Crunchyroll website.
Just open the internet browser and visit their official website to start streaming.
The Crunchyroll app isn’t officially available to download on Samsung Smart TV.
However, you can use the screen-sharing feature on your smartphone to start streaming on TV.
If you have a gaming console available, you easily also install the Crunchyroll app and start streaming through it.
Some popular gaming consoles such as PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo Switch, etc. are compatible with the Crunchyroll app.
You can also connect the laptop to your Samsung TV via an HDMI cable.
Once the connection is successful, the TV may automatically start displaying the laptop screen.
If it doesn’t, you can just switch to the HDMI port input source and visit the Crunchyroll website on your laptop.
I’d highly recommend getting a streaming device to get the best quality anime streaming via Crunchyroll on your Samsung TV.
However, if you’re not willing to spend some extra dollars on a streaming device, Samsung TV’s built-in browser would work just fine.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I download Crunchyroll app on my Samsung TV?
You can’t download the Crunchyroll app as it isn’t natively available on Samsung Smart TVs.
However, using some easy alternatives, you can still stream your favorite anime content on TV.
These alternatives include a screen-sharing feature, using a streaming device, streaming via laptop through HDMI cable, etc.
Is there an app store on Samsung TV?
All Samsung Smart TVs have Smart Hub as their app store where you can download thousands of applications compatible with the TV.
Use the Home Screen button on your TV remote and navigate to the Apps section.
On the top-right corner, tap on the search icon and enter the app name you wish to download. Now click on Install to get it on your TV.
Why is Crunchyroll blocked?
Crunchyroll and other streaming platforms enforce geo-restrictions for copyright protection.
In case you’ve got a message saying “Videos aren’t available in your region”, it’s most likely because Crunchyroll doesn’t have the legal rights to make streaming available for that anime title in your country.
However, you can use a VPN to bypass geo-restrictions in your country.
In which country Crunchyroll is not available?
Crunchyroll’s complete anime and manga library is only available to stream in the US.
Hence, it is most likely that you may not be able to stream some anime titles in other countries like the UK, Mexico, Canada, Australia, India, France, etc.
Is it legal to watch on Crunchyroll?
Yes, Crunchyroll allows legal streaming of almost all anime movies and series.
In fact, Crunchyroll Premium plans allow ad-free access to exclusive anime series and even lets you stream new episodes about after an hour of their release in Japan!
Additional benefits include access to digital manga (available in English) and offline streaming as well.