I’ve been using Roku for a while, and while talking to a friend recently about DirecTV, he said I could get it on Roku.
Naturally, as soon as I got home, I had to check it out.
Sure enough, DirecTV Stream was available on Roku and it was pretty simple to get the channel activated.
I was really excited considering I could catch up on a lot of shows I used to watch on DirecTV.
You can get DirecTV Stream on your Roku either from the channel store on the device or through their website if you want to access it away from your devices.
Check Your Device Compatibility
Before you install DirecTV stream on your Roku TV, it is recommended that you check whether your Roku Device is compatible with the DirecTV App.
Given below is a list containing the Roku devices that are compatible with the DirecTV App.
|Model Name||Model Number|
|Streaming Stick||3500X, 3600X, 3800X|
|Streaming Stick+||3810X, 3811X|
|Express||3700X, 3900X, 3930X|
|Express+||3710X, 3910X, 3931X|
|Ultra||4640X, 4660X, 4661X, 4670X|
|Roku 1 SE||2710X|
|Roku 2||2720X, 4210X|
|Roku 3||4200X, 4230X|
|Non-4K Roku TV||5000X, 8000X|
|4K Roku TV||6000X, 7000X, A000X, C000X, C000GB|
|Roku Smart Soundbar||9100X|
As with any Streaming service, you should have a valid subscription with DirecTV, a Roku account, and an internet connection with a minimum speed of 8 Mbps per device to have a glitch-free viewing experience.
How to install DirecTV stream from your Roku device?
The steps to add DirecTV using your Roku device is quite straightforward.
- On your Roku remote, press the Home button to go into the main menu.
- Use the arrows of your remote to select the Search tab. Once chosen, type DirecTV Stream. ( If the search doesn’t throw up any positive result, try searching by typing AT&T TV).
- Select the DirecTV icon and select Add Channel.
- This will install DirecTV stream on your Roku device.
- Once done, choose the Go to Channel tab and start the DirecTV app.
- This will prompt you to enter your username and password. Enter your credentials and you are on your way.
How to install DirecTV stream from the Roku website?
Another way to install the DirecTV app is through the Roku website.
If you are unable to install the DirecTv app through your Roku device due to some reason, you can adopt this method.
Follow the steps given below to install DirecTV stream through the Roku website.
- On your Roku device, open the Roku website through a compatible web browser ( Firefox or Google Chrome).
- Type DirecTV into the search bar.
- Click on Details to get more information on the channel.
- Press the +Add Channel button and the same would be installed on your device.
- Open your Roku device and choose the DirecTV app.
- Start the DirecTV app. Enter your credentials to sign in and enjoy the wide range of content on offer.
Casting DirecTV from your mobile device
This option is for users whose Roku device isn’t compatible with the DirecTV App.
Follow the steps given below to cast DirecTV from your mobile device onto your TV.
The first step is to install the DirecTV app from the respective app stores – Google Playstore for Android devices and AppStore for iOS devices.
Connect your Roku device and your mobile device to the same wifi network.
For Android users
- Access the notifications tab on your mobile device select Cast or its equivalent option.
- Select your Roku device from the list of available devices.
- Login to the DirecTV App with your credentials.
- You would now be able to see the content from DirecTV on your HDTV.
For iOS users
- From the AppStore, install the DirecTV app on your mobile device.
- Access the Control Center by swiping the screen.
- Select the Screen Mirroring option.
- Choose your Roku device from the list of devices displayed.
- Your mobile device’s screen would now be mirrored on the screen of your TV.
Streaming All The Way
With the widespread adoption of OTT content apps, satellite TV has a dim future.
DirecTV stream is an outcome of this widespread trend.
The convenience of accessing content on the go and over multiple platforms including Roku is a draw compared to satellite TV.
DirecTV App is available for multiple OS and devices.
You can use this guide to install DirecTV on Roku in different ways and there is also a section provided for getting DirecTV on non-compatible Roku devices.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I have to pay separately for DirecTV when I install it on Roku.
If you already have an existing subscription to DirecTV, you’ll be prompted to log in when you download the channel on your Roku device.
Does DirecTV stream work on the Roku mobile app?
Unfortunately, only the Roku Channel works on the mobile version of the app. None of the other channels are available as of now.