After a pretty hectic month-end at work, I finally had some time to relax and enjoy the comfort of my TV room.
I was in the mood for something peaceful and slow-paced, so I opened up Discovery Plus.
After some browsing, I settled on a documentary about Swan migration, but when I played the video, I was greeted with an error message ‘0C-C009’.
I closed the video and tried replaying it, but the same error message kept bothering me.
More than anything else, I was annoyed that instead of providing a comprehensible explanation, I was merely presented with the error code.
I dedicated the next few hours to crawling through the columns of Discovery Plus forums, which was worthwhile, as I was able to find out the cause of the error and how to fix it quickly.
Here’s how to get rid of the Discovery Plus error 0C-C009 within seconds:
The Discovery Plus error 0C-C009 is shown when the streaming device is unable to communicate with Discovery servers. You can resolve the 0C-C009 error on Discovery Plus by disconnecting your streaming device from the power source and connecting it back after sixty seconds.
Check the Discovery Plus Server Status Before Trying Anything Else
One of the major reasons for error 0C-C009 on Discovery Plus is related to its servers, something that’s out of your control.
If Discovery servers are down in your area due to maintenance or power outage, Discovery Plus won’t work as intended.
If you notice a Discovery Plus Error 504, don’t worry because this is a server-related error as well and can be fixed by re-establishing the connection between your device and Discovery plus servers.
If the servers are down, you have no option but to wait for the team at Discovery to resolve it.
Power Cycle Your Streaming Device
The easiest fix for the Discovery Plus 0C-C009 error is power cycling the streaming device.
To power cycle your device, switch it off and unplug it from the power source.
After about a minute, plug it back in and turn it on.
Power cycling helps eliminate numerous performance-hindering bugs and clears the device’s cache and memory.
Once you have connected it back, launch the video you were trying to stream earlier, and it should work as intended.
Check Your Internet Connection
Sometimes, your Internet speed may dip below what it should be due to the Wi-Fi router being plagued by bugs and glitches.
This can stop your streaming device from communicating effectively with Discovery servers, causing the 0C-C009 error.
You can check your Internet speed using an online speed tester like Ookla Speedtest.
If your Internet speed is low or your connection is spotty, you can quickly fix this by unplugging your Wi-Fi router and plugging it back after waiting a couple of minutes, which will reset your router.
This is also an effective solution if you ever face Error 503 on Discovery Plus.
Consider getting an Ethernet adapter for your streaming device if you experience this problem frequently.
Reinstall the Discovery Plus App
There are times when the reason for the error 0C-C009 on Discovery Plus is rooted in the cache memory of the Discovery app.
It is also possible that there is a bug in the app that can only be fixed by an update.
In such cases, you can minimize the hassle and simply reinstall the app, which will fix both these issues.
If you are using Discovery Plus on an Android device:
- Open the Play Store.
- Search for the Discovery Plus app.
- Click Uninstall once you find the app’s page.
- Once complete, you will see the option to Download on the same page.
For those using an iOS device, you can uninstall and reinstall the app by:
- Long-press the Discovery Plus app until it begins to jiggle.
- You should see an X on the corner of the app. Press it to remove the app.
- To reinstall the app, go to the App Store, search for the Discovery Plus app, and Download it.
On Windows 8 or higher:
- Press the Windows key.
- Search for Discovery Plus and click on the Uninstall option.
- To reinstall it, visit the Microsoft Store and Download the app.
If you have an Apple TV:
- Select the Discovery Plus app.
- Press and hold the Center of the clickpad or touch surface until the app jiggles.
- Tap the Play/Pause button and select Delete.
- To reinstall the app, launch the App Store from the Home screen.
- Search for the Discovery Plus app and Download it.
For a Roku device:
- Press the Home button on the remote.
- Go to the Streaming Channels tab to launch the Channel Store.
- Look for Discovery Plus and press OK.
- Select the Remove option.
- To reinstall it, go to the Search bar and look for Discovery Plus.
- Once found, tap on Add Channel.
If you own a Fire TV:
- Open the Settings tab from the Home screen.
- Select Applications and click on the Manage Installed Applications tab.
- Choose Discovery Plus and click on Uninstall.
- To reinstall the app, simply search for Discovery Plus using the Search bar or by asking Alexa.
- A page for Discovery Plus should open, where you will find the option to Download it.
Update Your Streaming Device’s Software
Your streaming device’s inability to connect to Discovery servers can also be due to a glitch or anomaly in its software, causing the 0C-C009 error.
You can easily resolve this by updating your device to the latest version.
To do so:
- Open your device’s Settings menu.
- Look for the option to Check for updates.
- If there is an update, Install it and check if your Discovery Plus content works fine.
Enjoy Your Favorite Documentaries
Discovery Plus offers some of the most informative and unique content in the market, but cryptic errors like 0C-C009 can ruin your experience.
Luckily, this particular error is easily fixed by power cycling the streaming device.
If that doesn’t work for you, reinstall the Discovery Plus app.
If nothing fixes your problem, you should contact Discovery Plus Help Desk.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does a Discovery Plus subscription cost?
A Discovery Plus subscription will set you back $4.99/month for all the content with limited ads and $6.99/month for the ad-free version.
Why do I keep getting error codes on Discovery Plus?
You may get error codes on Discovery Plus when the servers are not able to communicate with your streaming device.
Is Discovery Plus compatible with all modern streaming devices?
You can access Discovery Plus on most smartphones, tablets, web browsers, and smart devices. Here is a list of all compatible devices.