I recently switched my old Vizio TV to a Vizio SmartCast TV.
While it gave me access to hundreds of on-demand shows, it was missing some key channels. One of them, my favorite – Discovery Plus.
This confused me since I knew Discovery Plus was available on Vizio SmartCast TVs.
On my old Vizio TV, I would have just pressed the V button and downloaded the app from the store. However, it wasn’t so easy with the new TV since its remote didn’t have the V button.
Not knowing what to do, I contacted the store where I purchased the TV, and they guided me on finding all apps on it without the V button.
I followed their walkthrough and was able to watch my favorite shows on my Vizio TV. Not only that, but I also added the app to the Home screen for easy access in the future.
To add apps to Vizio TV without the V button, press the Home button on the remote twice, search for the app you want in the All Apps section, and press OK to add it.
Can I Add Apps to My Vizio TV?
Whether apps can be added (or downloaded) to a Vizio TV depends on the model of the TV.
Typically, Vizio TVs can be divided into four categories.
|Vizio TV Model
|Can additional apps be downloaded?
|All models from 2018
|4K UHD TVs between 2016 and 2017
|All other TVs between 2017 and 2013
|Vizio Internet Apps Plus (VIA+)
|All TV models before 2013
|Vizio Internet Apps (VIA)
All Vizio TV models equipped with Vizio Internet Apps have an in-built Connected Store which can be accessed using the V button on their remotes. This store allows you to download additional apps on your TV.
The Vizio TV models running on Vizio SmartCast do not have a similar app store. Instead, they come equipped with a set of pre-installed apps, and you can add these apps to your TV via the Home button on the remote.
Even though you cannot download additional apps on a Vizio SmartCast TV, you can watch any content by sideloading an app or casting it on the TV from an Android or iOS device.
Add Apps Using a Remote Without the V Button
The V button on a Vizio TV remote is used to access the pre-installed apps and other features of the TV.
However, the Vizio SmartCast TVs are not equipped with a V button.
For these TVs, the V button is replaced with a Home button which performs a similar function.
To add apps to a Vizio TV without the V button:
- Press the Home button on your Vizio remote twice.
- Navigate to the All Apps list.
- Search the app of your choice.
- Click the OK button on your remote.
The app will now be added to the Home screen of your Vizio TV.
Add Apps via the Vizio Mobile App
Through the Vizio Mobile app, you can control and add apps to your Vizio SmartCast TV using your smartphone.
The minimum requirements for using the Vizio mobile app are:
- iOS 13.0 or higher
- Android 8.0 or higher
Follow these steps to add apps to a Vizio TV using your smartphone:
- Turn on your Vizio TV. Make sure it is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your smartphone.
- Download the Vizio mobile app.
- Launch the app and follow the on-screen instructions to create a Vizio account or continue as a guest.
- Once done, you will get a prompt to connect a device.
- Choose your Vizio TV from the list of available devices.
- Enter the pairing code displayed on your TV screen. Your Vizio mobile app will be linked to your Vizio SmartCast TV.
- In the Vizio Mobile app, navigate to the My Apps section.
- Search for the app you want to add to your Vizio TV and confirm your choice.
Add Apps Using the Buttons on Your Vizio TV
In case your Vizio TV remote is not working, or you are not able to connect the mobile app to your TV, you can also access the pre-installed apps using the buttons on the TV.
Most Vizio TVs have the power, volume, channel, and input selection buttons. These buttons will be located either on the back or the bottom corners of your TV.
To access and add apps to your Vizio TV using its physical buttons:
- Press and hold the Input and Volume buttons of your TV simultaneously. This will take you to the Home screen.
- Navigate to the All Apps section using the Channel and Volume buttons.
- Scroll through using these buttons till you find the app of your choice and choose OK.
- Wait for the app to install.
That said, the buttons on a Vizio TV are not designed for regular navigation. You should replace your remote or use the Vizio mobile app to operate your TV.
Sideload the App of Your Choice
Sometimes, the app you want may not be available in the list of pre-installed apps on your Vizio TV. In such a situation, you can sideload the app onto your TV using a flash drive.
Sideloading means installing the app from a third-party source. Whenever you sideload an app on your Vizio TV, ensure that you download the app from a trusted source.
For this, you will need an empty flash drive that can be plugged into the USB port of your Vizio TV.
To sideload apps onto your Vizio TV using a flash drive:
- Search for the APK of the app you need and download it on your computer. APKMirror is a good source for these files.
- Take an empty flash drive and transfer the APK file to it.
- Switch off your Vizio TV and unplug it from the power socket.
- Now, insert the flash drive into a USB port of the TV.
- Plug the TV back in and turn it on.
- Your TV will sideload the app automatically.
Once the app loads, you can use it on your Vizio TV.
Note: You will need to plug the flash drive into your Vizio TV whenever you wish to use the app.
Cast Apps From a Smartphone or Computer
The built-in SmartCast feature of Vizio TVs is compatible with both Google Chromecast and AirPlay 2.
This makes it easy for you to cast any media from an Android or iOS device to your TV, and the cherry on top is that it’s not restricted to pre-installed apps.
The SmartCast feature also lets you cast media from your computer using the Google Chrome browser.
Note: To cast apps to Vizio TV, both your TV and the device you want to cast from should be connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
Cast From an Android or iOS Smartphone
- Open the app you want to cast on your smartphone.
- Play the media of your choice.
- For iOS devices, click on the AirPlay icon on the screen. For Android devices, choose Cast.
- Click on the name of your Vizio TV from the list of available devices.
- Follow the on-screen instructions, and you are good to go.
Cast From a Computer
- Launch the Chrome browser on your computer.
- Open the app you want to cast. You can also play content of your choice in a new tab on the browser.
- Open the Menu using the three dots in the top-right corner of your screen.
- Click on Cast.
- Select the name of your Vizio TV.
- Click on the Cast tab and choose the tab that has the app you want to cast open.
The media playing in the app will now be visible on your TV.
How to Remove Apps From Vizio TV Without the V Button
Removing an app from a Vizio TV without the V button is quite similar to installing one.
Here are the steps you need to follow to remove an app from your Vizio TV:
- Press the Home button on the Vizio remote twice.
- Navigate to the All Apps section.
- Search for the app you want to remove.
- Press OK on your remote and click on Remove or Uninstall.
The app will now be removed from the home screen of your Vizio TV. You can easily add it back again anytime you need.
Yes, You Don’t Need That V Button
I love binging crime shows on Discovery Plus, but last weekend, my binge marathons came to a halt when I couldn’t find its app on my new Vizio SmartCast TV.
Without the V button, I felt stumped and couldn’t find a way out for almost an hour.
Luckily, the TV store came to the rescue, and I was able to add the Discovery Plus app to my TV using the Home button on its remote.
Having said that, there are many streaming apps that are not available on Vizio SmartCast TVs.
The easiest option, in this case, is to cast content to Vizio TV from your phone or computer.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where is the Connected TV app store on my Vizio TV?
A Connected app store is only available on older Vizio TVs equipped with the Vizio Internet Apps software. It can be accessed either using the V button on the remote or from the dock at the bottom of the Home screen.
Does SmartCast only work on Wi-Fi?
Yes, for SmartCast to work, your Vizio SmartCast TV and the device you wish to cast from need to be connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
Where is the V button located on my Vizio TV?
The V button is located just below the volume and program buttons on your Vizio TV remote.