After my friend bragged about playing the latest video games on his Xbox, I, too, bought one last weekend to check out some of the latest titles.
As someone with little gaming experience, I connected the Xbox to my Roku TV using an HDMI cable and patiently waited for it to start, but with no success.
I unplugged the HDMI cable and inserted it back, but I still couldn’t access the Xbox interface.
This was weird because whenever I plugged in my USB drive to the TV, it used to start on its own.
So why wasn’t the Xbox showing up?
I did a quick Google search to identify the problem.
As it goes, just plugging in the HDMI cable was not enough. I also needed to change the input on my Roku TV.
Here’s how you can change the input on your Roku TV within a few seconds:
To change the input on Roku TV, navigate to the ‘Settings’ menu using its remote and select the input you want from ‘TV inputs’. You can also save the input source on your Home screen to easily access it the next time you switch on your Roku TV.
Why Do I Need to Change Input on Roku TV?
While you can watch a variety of content on your Roku TV, you may also want to connect another streaming device like Amazon Fire TV Stick, Android TV box, or a Blu-ray player to it.
A regular Roku TV has several HDMI ports, a TV antenna port, and a few A/V ports to connect various devices.
Based on the connectors you are using, you can plug in your desired device in one of these ports.
Though, only plugging in will not help.
You will need to change the input on your Roku TV to stream content from the connected device.
Note: Changing input is only available on Roku-enabled TVs, not on Roku streaming devices.
Change Input on Your Roku TV Using a Remote
Once you connect your desired device to one of the ports on your Roku TV, you can easily set up that input using your Roku remote.
- Press the Home button on your Roku remote.
- Navigate to the Settings menu.
- Scroll down to TV inputs.
- Select all the Available inputs and click on Set up input.
- Wait a few seconds for the Pop-up to disappear.
- Press the Home button on the remote again.
- You can now see all the Inputs on your Roku home screen.
- Select the Input you want.
By setting up inputs on your Roku home screen, you can easily change the input whenever you need.
Change Input on Roku TV Using the Buttons on its Body
To change the input on your Roku TV without a remote, you will need to access the physical buttons on the TV.
The buttons will be located at the bottom-center, side, or back panel of your Roku TV, depending on its brand.
- Press the Main button. If your Roku TV only has one button, press that. If your TV has several buttons, click the one in the middle.
- You will see a Menu open on the left-hand side of your TV screen.
- Click the Main button again to scroll down the menu. If your Roku TV has arrow buttons, use the ‘Up’ and ‘Down’ arrows to scroll through the menu.
- Navigate to the Input you want.
- Wait 5 seconds. Your Roku TV will change the input automatically.
Did you know you can also turn on your Roku TV without a remote?
Change Input on Roku TV Using the Roku App
In case your Roku remote is not working, and you are not able to access the buttons on your Roku TV easily, you can use the Roku app to change inputs.
The Roku app is available for both iOS and Android devices.
- Download and install the Roku app from the App Store or Play Store.
- Once complete, Launch the app.
- You will need to create an account in the app if you don’t have one already.
- Once done, the Roku app will search for Nearby Roku devices. Make sure your smartphone or tablet on which you are using the Roku app is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your Roku TV.
- Your Roku TV will appear in the Available list in the app.
- Select Roku TV and click on Connect. You can now use the Roku app as a remote to control your TV.
- Use the arrow buttons in the app to navigate to the Settings menu.
- Use the down arrow to find the TV inputs section.
- Navigate to the Input you want and press OK.
Manage Roku Inputs With Ease
While Roku TV supports most of the popular streaming channels, you sometimes need to connect a USB drive, Blu-ray player, or other external devices for additional entertainment.
Once you have connected your desired device to one of the available ports on your Roku TV, you need to change the input in order to stream content from that device.
The easiest way to do so is by using your Roku TV’s remote controller.
In case the remote is not working, you can use the physical buttons on the TV.
The Roku app is another alternative to change inputs without leaving your couch.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why isn’t an HDMI-connected device showing up on my Roku TV?
If an HDMI-connected device is not showing up on your Roku TV, check that the HDMI cable is firmly connected to the TV and the device you want to use.
Should I select HDMI 1 or 2 to connect a Fire Stick to my Roku TV?
If you are doubtful about which input to select on your Roku TV, check the port to which you have connected the Fire TV Stick and select it accordingly.
Why is there no picture on my Roku TV?
If you have connected an external device to your Roku TV, make sure to select the correct input on your Roku TV to stream content from the device.