I get bored by most modern TV shows pretty quickly, but when a show intrigues me, I often pull all-nighters to binge it.
Last week, it was Ginny and Georgia’s turn.
There was one little problem, though. My parents had come over for a month-long vacation.
So, playing the show at full volume on my new Vizio TV at night wasn’t a good option.
I remembered connecting Bluetooth headphones to my old TV, so I decided to connect my AirPods to the Vizio TV.
With my iPhone, the AirPods usually connect on their own when I turn them on.
And so, I was a little confused when they didn’t pair with my Vizio TV similarly.
I went through the TV menu to connect the AirPods manually but couldn’t find the Bluetooth settings anywhere.
Finally, I got down to some online research, and within just a few minutes, my AirPods were good to go.
Here’s how I connected AirPods to my Bluetooth-less Vizio TV to enjoy the latest Netflix offering:
To connect AirPods to Vizio TV, go to the Bluetooth settings on the TV and select AirPods from the listed devices. However, if your Vizio TV does not have Bluetooth, plug a Bluetooth transmitter in one of its input ports and pair AirPods with it.
Are All TVs Compatible With AirPods?
AirPods use Bluetooth technology to connect with any device for streaming audio.
For AirPods to connect with your TV, the TV needs to have an in-built Bluetooth feature or be compatible with third-party audio transmitters.
Do All Vizio TVs Have Bluetooth?
The best way to check whether your Vizio TV has Bluetooth is to go through its user manual.
Alternatively, you can check for Bluetooth in your TV settings via the following steps:
- Press Home on your TV’s remote.
- Navigate to Settings or Menu.
- Look for the Bluetooth Headphones (or Speakers) option.
If you can see such an option, your TV supports Bluetooth devices.
Otherwise, you will need a third-party alternative to connect a Bluetooth device to your TV.
Try these 7 DIY steps if your Vizio TV won’t turn on.
Connect AirPods to Vizio TV via Bluetooth
If your Vizio TV is equipped with an in-built Bluetooth receiver, you can connect AirPods to it by following these steps:
- Place your AirPods in their charging case.
- Keep the lid of the case open.
- Press and hold the button on the back of the case for 5 seconds. The LED indicator on the case will blink white to indicate that AirPods are in pairing mode.
- Press the Menu or Settings button on your Vizio TV remote.
- Select Bluetooth Headphones. All the available devices will be listed on the screen.
- Select AirPods. If you have changed the name of your AirPods, click on the name you’ve set.
- In case you cannot see your AirPods in the list, click on More Devices.
Once the pairing is complete, you can stream the sound from your Vizio TV directly into your ears.
You can also connect AirPods to a Samsung TV.
Connect AirPods to Vizio TV With a Bluetooth Transmitter
If your Vizio TV is not equipped with an in-built Bluetooth feature, your best option is to use an external Bluetooth transmitter.
Bluetooth transmitters are widely available and easy to set up.
And the good news is that you can get one for less than $30.
To connect AirPods to your Vizio TV using a Bluetooth transmitter:
- Plug in the Bluetooth transmitter in one of the input ports of your Vizio TV.
- Turn on the transmitter.
- Place your AirPods in their charging case with the lid open.
- Press and hold the button on the rear of the case for 5 seconds.
- Wait for the LED indicator on the case to blink white. The AirPods will automatically pair with the Bluetooth transmitter.
If you are reluctant to buy a Bluetooth transmitter, an indirect way to connect AirPods to Vizio TV is through the Apple TV app on your phone.
Connect AirPods to Vizio TV Using the Apple TV App
If you watch Apple TV content, you can easily connect AirPods to your Vizio TV using the Apple TV app.
All Vizio Smart TV models from 2016 and later support this app.
Since AirPods are synced across all your Apple devices using the same Apple ID, all you need to do is launch the Apple TV app on your Vizio Smart TV.
Note: You will need an active Apple TV subscription for this solution to work.
To connect AirPods to a Vizio TV via Apple TV:
- Press the Home button on your TV’s remote.
- Navigate to the My Apps section.
- Search for the Apple TV app. In case it’s not installed, download and install it.
- Now, launch the app and click on Start Watching.
- Go to Settings within the app.
- Select Account and sign in using your Apple ID.
- Once done, your AirPods will automatically connect to the Vizio TV. Just make sure the AirPods are on.
However, you should remember that you can only watch content available on Apple TV this way.
Your AirPods will not work for other apps and live TV channels on your Vizio TV.
What to Do If AirPods Won’t Pair With My Vizio TV
If your AirPods do not connect with your Vizio TV, turn off all Bluetooth devices in the room and try again.
Also, make sure that no Bluetooth device is connected to the TV.
In case you continue to face issues while pairing AirPods with your TV, disable the TV’s Bluetooth and take AirPods out of the pairing mode.
Now, power cycle your TV by unplugging it from the electric socket and waiting at least 60 seconds before connecting it back in and turning it on.
Next, re-enable Bluetooth on the TV, put AirPods back in the pairing mode, and try pairing them again.
Power cycling is an effective way to resolve your Vizio TV’s no-sound problem.
Resetting your AirPods can also help fix its pairing problem.
- Place the AirPods in their charging case with the lid open.
- Press and hold the Setup button on the rear of the case for 15 seconds.
- The status light of the case will shift from Amber to White. Once done, your AirPods are reset and ready to pair.
Are there Any Downsides to Using AirPods With Non-Apple Devices?
You can pair AirPods with any device having the Bluetooth feature, like a smartphone or Smart TV, but some of their features won’t be available on non-Apple devices.
On such devices, AirPods will let you access their basic functions of streaming audio and making calls, but you won’t be able to use the ‘Go back’ or ‘Skip forward’ features.
Additionally, with Apple devices, AirPods pause audio or music when you remove them from your ears and don’t resume it until you put them back in.
However, this feature is also unavailable on non-Apple devices.
Finally, you can’t access Siri via your AirPods when connected to a non-Apple device since it’s an iOS-only feature.
No Need to Wake Up Your Family When Enjoying Your Favorite Shows
I have been using both AirPods and a Vizio TV for a while now, but I never had to connect the two until last week.
And when the situation called for it, I was a little confused about how to do it.
This was also the time I discovered that my Vizio TV didn’t have Bluetooth.
But surprisingly, connecting AirPods to my Bluetooth-less TV was easier than I thought.
All I had to do was get a Bluetooth transmitter, and once I plugged it into my TV, my AirPods paired with it automatically.
Though unlike me, if you watch most of your content via Apple TV on your Vizio TV, you can use the cloud sync feature of Apple products to connect your AirPods to the TV.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why won’t AirPods connect to my TV?
Your AirPods may not connect to your TV due to low battery, Bluetooth connectivity issues, or software bugs in your AirPods or TV.
How much do AirPods cost?
AirPods are available in both in-ear and over-ear variants.
Their prices vary as per the features included. Here is a comparison of various AirPods models.
How long do AirPods last?
AirPods typically last 3-4 years, after which their Lithium-ion batteries need to be replaced.
To increase the lifespan of your AirPods, make sure not to use them in extreme temperatures, avoid full discharging, and always store them in their case.