Last week when my WiFi connection was down, I decided to watch Black Panther: Wakanda Forever saved offline on my iPhone. For the best viewing experience on a big screen, I thought of connecting my iPhone to the Samsung Smart TV.
As I mostly stream movies or TV shows through WiFi on my Samsung Smart TV, I wasn’t quite sure about how to connect my iPhone to the TV. I wondered if it was possible with the Lightning to USB cable that I use to charge my iPhone.
I hit Google for help and clicked on the most relevant search results. I spent some time reading through solution articles, Apple forums and even watched a few YouTube tutorials.
I learned how to connect my iPhone to Samsung TV and also found out the best way to stream online content wirelessly from iPhone on TV. Here’s how:
To connect iPhone to Samsung TV, use a Lightning to USB cable. Plug one end of the cable into the charging port of iPhone and the other end into the Samsung TV’s USB port. Once the TV is turned on, your device will start charging.
Connect iPhone to Samsung TV Via Lightning to USB Cable
While you can connect your iPhone to Samsung TV using a Lightning to USB cable, this connection can only allow you to charge your device or view iPhone photos on the TV screen.
Here’s how to connect your iPhone to Samsung TV via USB:
- Check the back of your TV and search for the USB port. It is usually located near the HDMI ports on your TV and is labeled as ‘USB’
- Use the charging (USB to Lightning) cable of your iPhone and plug one end of it into the USB port of your Samsung TV
- Connect the other end to the charging port of your iPhone
- Your iPhone should start charging as soon as you turn on the TV
Once your iPhone is connected to the Samsung TV, popup windows may appear on both the TV and iOS device. These windows can be used to view photos or videos saved on iPhone.
Follow these instructions:
- If you don’t find any pop-up window appearing on the iPhone, turn off your Samsung TV and turn it on again using the TV remote’s power button
- Try replugging the USB to Lightning cable into the charging port of the iPhone
- A popup message saying “Allow this device to access photos and videos?” should appear on the phone screen
- Tap on Allow to start the connection and a popup window with the message “New device: iPhone connected” should appear on the Samsung TV screen
- With the Samsung TV remote, click on browse to scroll through the photos available on the iPhone
Connect iPhone to Samsung TV Via Lightning Digital AV Adapter
It’s likely that the popup window may not appear on your iPhone and the USB connection would only allow you to charge the device.
If you want to watch photos, videos, or movies stored in your iPhone or stream online videos on the big screen of your Samsung TV, the best way is to use a Lightning Digital AV Adapter.
The adapter allows you to connect your iPhone to an external display such as a computer monitor, projector, or TV.
Follow these instructions to connect your iPhone to Samsung TV using a Lightning Digital AV Adapter:
- Plug the Lighting Digital AV Adapter into the charging port located at the bottom of your iPhone
- Connect one end of the HDMI or VGA cable to the adapter
- Connect the other end of the cable to the HDMI port of your Samsung TV
- Now switch to the correct HDMI input source using the Source button on your Samsung TV remote
- Your iPhone’s screen should start coming up on the Samsung TV
- To avoid any interruption, you can also charge your iPhone by connecting the charging cable to the extra port available on the adapter
Bonus Tip: Wirelessly Connect Your iPhone to Samsung TV
Apple AirPlay allows you to wirelessly connect your iPhone to Samsung TV. The feature allows users to stream videos or photos and enables screen mirroring on iOS devices.
Most Samsung Smart TV models manufactured after 2018 are AirPlay 2 compatible. However, you may need to enable the AirPlay setting before connecting your iPhone to the TV.
Apple AirPlay can be used on Samsung TV to:
- Stream videos, photos, or music from iPhone (including online content)
- Mirror the entire iPhone screen to the TV
Note: This method requires both devices connected to the same WiFi network. Unlike screen mirroring, streaming content via AirPlay allows you to use your iPhone for other purposes without interrupting the playback.
Stream media to your TV via AirPlay
- To enable AirPlay on your Samsung TV, go to Settings and select General. Navigate to Apple AirPlay Settings and turn on the feature using the remote.
- Ensure that both your Samsung TV and iPhone are connected to the same wireless network
- Play any content that you want to stream and tap on the AirPlay icon. In the photos app, you need to tap the Share option and then select the AirPlay icon.
- From the available device list, select your Samsung TV. You may have to enter a code available on the TV screen to establish a successful connection.
Mirror your iPhone to Samsung TV
- Open the Control Center on your iPhone
- On iPhone X or later models: Swipe down from the upper-right corner
- On iPhone 8 or earlier models with iOS 11 or earlier: Swipe up from the bottom edge of the screen
- Tap on the Screen Mirroring icon
- From the available device list, select your Samsung TV
- Enter an AirPlay passcode on your iPhone if it appears on the TV screen and start mirroring
Enjoy the Big Screen Experience
While you can connect your iPhone to Samsung TV using a USB to Lightning cable, it only enables charging or sharing photos/videos from the iPhone to TV. Using a Lightning Digital AV Adapter is the best way to cast photos, and videos or stream online content from iPhone to Smart TV.
If you’ve got a WiFi connection available at home, use Apple AirPlay to stream content or mirror your iPhone screen to the TV wirelessly. Most Samsung Smart TVs manufactured after 2018 are compatible with AirPlay 2. Before trying to connect your iPhone, ensure that the AirPlay setting is enabled on the Samsung TV.
In the photos app, tap on the Share option and select Airplay. Alternatively, find the AirPlay icon usually available on the upper-left corner while playing any content on your iPhone.
Frequently Asked Questions
What type of USB cable do I need to connect my iPhone to a Samsung TV?
To connect your iPhone to a Samsung TV with USB, you will need a Lightning to USB cable. This cable is specifically designed for use with Apple devices and will allow you to transfer data, charge your iPhone, and connect it to external devices such as a TV. Once you connect the Lightning to USB cable on Samsung TV, your iPhone will start charging. If you notice any popup windows on your iPhone, check if it’s asking for permission to share photos on the TV.
How do I connect my iPhone to a Samsung TV using AirPlay?
To use AirPlay to connect your iPhone to a Samsung TV, both devices must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network. Make sure that the AirPlay feature is enabled by going to the Settings of your Samsung TV.
Swipe up from the bottom of your iPhone screen to access the Control Center, tap on Screen Mirroring, and select your Samsung TV from the list of available devices. Your iPhone’s screen should now appear on your Samsung TV. You can also stream online content through AirPlay by simply tapping on the AirPlay icon on the video playback screen.
Do I need to enable any settings on my Samsung TV to connect my iPhone with USB?
No, you do not need to enable any settings on your Samsung TV to connect your iPhone with USB. Simply connect your iPhone to the TV with the appropriate cable or adapter and it should display the content automatically. However, if you’re unable to see the iPhone screen on the TV while using a Lightning Digital AV Adapter, make sure that you have selected the correct HDMI input.
Can I use other apps on my iPhone while casting videos on Samsung TV?
Apple AirPlay allows you to cast your favorite movies or TV shows to an external display such as Samsung Smart TV. Once you have turned on the AirPlay setting on the TV, simply play any video and search for the AirPlay icon usually located in the lower-right corner of the screen. Select your Samsung TV from the available device list and a passcode should appear on the TV screen.
Enter that passcode to start streaming any content directly on the TV via AirPlay. Meanwhile, you can use your iPhone for other purposes including picking up incoming calls or using a different application without interrupting the streaming at all.