I have been using a Vizio TV and soundbar combo for my entertainment setup for almost a year now.
But recently, I had to shift to another city due to a job change.
While unpacking my stuff, I realized I had lost my Vizio soundbar remote in transit.
That said, I was able to connect the soundbar to my TV using an HDMI cable, but I had to use its physical buttons whenever I needed to change the volume.
After going through the Vizio website, I learned that I could control the soundbar using the Vizio Mobile app, but first, I had to connect it to Wi-Fi.
But, since I had no remote, I needed to dig deeper to find a way to do so.
To set up Vizio soundbar Wi-Fi without a remote, install the Vizio Mobile app on your smartphone and reboot the soundbar. Then, launch the Vizio Mobile app, click on Get Started, and follow the on-screen instructions to add your soundbar.
Connecting Vizio Soundbar to Wi-Fi Without Its Remote
There are several reasons why you would want to connect a Vizio soundbar to Wi-Fi, the most common being setting up a smartphone app to control it.
And the easiest way to do so is via a single button press on the remote.
However, since you don’t have a remote handy, you need to use the Vizio Mobile app to set up the connection.
This app is available for Android as well as iOS devices and allows you to control all Vizio devices, including TVs and sound systems.
Follow these steps to connect a Vizio soundbar to Wi-Fi without the remote:
- Make sure your phone is connected to Wi-Fi and not using cellular data.
- Disconnect your Vizio soundbar from the power source and leave it like that for 10-15 seconds.
- Now, reconnect the soundbar and turn it on by pressing its Power button.
- Launch the Vizio Mobile app on the phone.
- Create a new Vizio account or log in if you already have one.
- Click on Get Started. A list of all available devices will show up on the screen.
- Select your soundbar and follow the on-screen instructions to go through the setup process.
- If you don’t see the soundbar, tap on Set Up New Device and look for your device.
Once complete, your Vizio soundbar should have an Internet connection through the Vizio Mobile app. And you can use this app to control the soundbar and update its firmware.
What to Do When Vizio Soundbar Fails to Connect to Wi-Fi
If your Vizio soundbar doesn’t connect to a Wi-Fi network after following the steps mentioned above, you don’t need to worry.
I have a few troubleshooting tips you can use to fix this problem. But be sure to try one step at a time.
- Make sure your phone is connected to the same Wi-Fi network you want to set up for the Vizio soundbar.
- Power cycle your soundbar. To do so, unplug it from the power outlet and TV, press and hold its power button for 10-15 seconds, plug it back, and turn it on. Now, use the Vizio Mobile app to set up the soundbar Wi-Fi.
- In case nothing works, factory reset your soundbar. First, ensure the soundbar is on. Next, press and hold its Bluetooth and Volume Down buttons simultaneously for 10-15 seconds. The soundbar will take some time to complete the reset. Once done, turn it on and go through the Wi-Fi setup process again.
Use a Universal Remote Instead
Some Vizio soundbars can be controlled using a universal remote or a TV’s IR remote.
Go through your device user manual or visit Vizio Support to check if your soundbar has such a feature.
If your soundbar is compatible with such a remote, you can program it to control all soundbar functions and even connect it to Wi-Fi.
Follow these steps to do so:
- Turn on your Vizio soundbar.
- Point the universal remote towards the soundbar.
- Press the Menu button on the remote and then click Settings.
- Click on Program Remote.
- Choose Soundbar from the list of options.
- The LED on the remote will flicker a few times if the above steps are done properly.
- You will need to enter a pairing code and press Enter. If the code is correct, the LED will stop blinking.
Here’s a list of pairing codes you can use:
However, if nothing works for you, consider getting a replacement remote for your Vizio soundbar.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I connect a Vizio soundbar to my TV?
You can connect a Vizio soundbar to your TV using an HDMI cable, RCA cables, or via Bluetooth.
Can I connect my Vizio soundbar to a phone?
Your Vizio soundbar can act as a Bluetooth speaker with your smartphone. All you need to do is press and hold the Bluetooth button on the soundbar to make it discoverable and pair it with your phone.