Being a Tech enthusiast, I often turn to video content to keep educating myself about the latest trends in the industry.
While YouTube has a large pool of content, I also watch online classes, workshops, and tutorials on Facebook. The personal interaction with my favorite creators on Facebook Live helps me understand the topics much better.
Till now, I have been using the Facebook Watch app to stream Facebook Live on my TV.
But since the app was removed at the start of 2023, I was forced to find alternate ways to do so.
Luckily, like all other video streaming platforms, Facebook too supports the cast functionality.
And this made it easy for me to watch Facebook videos on TV.
To watch Facebook Live on TV, launch the Facebook app on your iOS or Android device, start the video you want to stream, tap the Cast icon, and select your TV from the list of available devices.
Cast Facebook Live to TV From Your Smartphone
With the Facebook Watch app gone, the easiest way to stream Facebook Live videos on your TV is to cast them using your smartphone’s cast feature.
You can do this via the Facebook app on your Android or iOS phone.
Facebook Live videos can be cast to any TV with built-in streaming capabilities like Chromecast or one connected to a streaming device like Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, etc.
You can cast Facebook videos either from your feed or the Watch tab in your Facebook app.
Note: Make sure your TV and smartphone are connected to the same Wi-Fi network before casting.
To cast Facebook Live videos to TV from your smartphone:
- Open the Facebook app on your phone.
- Play the video of your choice.
- Tap on the Cast icon on the screen.
- Select your TV from the list of available devices. The video will now start playing on the TV.
If your iPhone is running on iOS 14 or later, you may need to grant the Facebook app access to your local network before casting videos.
To turn on local network access on an iOS device:
- Launch your phone’s Settings.
- Select Privacy.
- Open Local Network.
- Click on Facebook from the list of apps.
- Turn on Local Network Access.
Watch Facebook Live on TV Using Your Computer
If you use Facebook on a computer, you can cast Facebook Live videos to your TV using your web browser’s casting capabilities.
Note: For this to work, you need to open Facebook in Google Chrome only. The other browsers may not be able to cast Facebook Live to TV.
To start casting Facebook Live from your computer:
- Turn on your TV and make sure it’s connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your computer.
- Open Facebook Watch in a browser on your computer.
- Play the video you want to cast.
- Click on the three dots or Menu icon in the top-right corner.
- Tap on Cast.
- Select your TV from the list of available devices. The video will automatically start playing on your TV.
Once finished, you can click Stop Casting on your computer to stop watching Facebook Live.
You can also watch Facebook Live on your TV by connecting a laptop to it using an HDMI cable.
Once connected, select the appropriate input in TV settings, launch Facebook Watch on your laptop, and enjoy the videos on the larger screen.
Alternatively, if your TV has a built-in web browser, you can use it to watch Facebook Live directly on your TV.
All you need to do is launch the web browser and visit Facebook Watch.
Cast Facebook Live to a Roku Device
If you own a Roku TV or streaming device, you need to perform some additional steps to cast Facebook Live videos to it.
First, you need to enable screen mirroring in the device settings.
- Press Home on your Roku remote.
- Navigate to Settings.
- Click on System.
- Select the Screen Mirroring option.
- Set it to Always Allow.
Once screen mirroring is enabled, you can either cast Facebook videos from an iOS device or mirror the screen of an Android device to watch videos on your TV.
Using an iOS device:
- Open the Facebook app on your device.
- Play the video you want to watch.
- Click on the Cast icon on the video.
- Select the Airplay and Bluetooth option.
- Select your Roku device from the list of available devices.
Using an Android device:
- Swipe down from the top of your screen to open the notifications panel.
- Click on the Cast icon. You can also find this option in your device settings.
- Select your Roku device from the list of available devices. The entire screen of your smartphone will now be mirrored onto your TV.
- Now, open the Facebook app on your phone and watch the videos you want. The videos will be visible on both your phone’s screen and the TV.
How to Fix Videos Not Playing on Facebook Live
Even though streaming Facebook Live on TV is a rather easy process, you may face difficulties setting it up from your smartphone or computer.
If you face any such problem, try the following tips to fix them:
- Check the strength of your Internet connection. Restart your Wi-Fi router if needed.
- Relaunch the Facebook app on your smartphone.
- Install the latest version of the Facebook app.
- Restart your phone, browser, or computer you are using Facebook on.
In case you are not able to watch Facebook Live videos, you can report the issue to Facebook for further assistance.
A Single Click is All It Takes
I grew anxious when the Facebook Watch app was discontinued in early 2023 as I had gotten used to streaming Facebook content on a bigger screen.
And it would have been cumbersome for me to follow my favorite content creators via phone.
That’s why I was greatly relieved when I found out that I can directly cast Facebook Live videos on my TV. All I had to do was tap the Cast icon over a video.
And now that I think of it, this is much better than searching and playing videos on the Facebook Watch app.
I get the best of both worlds – the simplicity of using the Facebook app on my phone and the comfort of watching videos on a larger screen.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I watch Facebook Live videos?
You can watch Facebook Live videos by opening the Facebook app on your device and tapping “Live” from the available options.
Can I interact with a Facebook Live broadcast on my TV?
Yes, you can interact with a Facebook Live video on your TV using your smartphone or tablet as a remote control. You can also leave comments and reactions while the broadcast is playing on the TV.
Can I watch past Facebook Live videos on my TV?
Yes, you can watch past Facebook Live videos on your TV if they have been saved and posted to the user’s profile or page. You can access them through the Facebook app on your phone and cast them to TV.