The variety of shows and genres available on Paramount Plus has always intrigued me.
Hence, a few months ago, I finally got a subscription and installed the app on my Samsung TV.
Things were pretty smooth initially, but a few weeks into using the app on my Samsung TV, I started receiving errors.
I had lost count of how many times the app crashed last month.
Sometimes, it crashed while streaming, at other times, a black screen appeared detailing a ‘video unavailable’ error.
Since I was unsure what was causing the issue, I called Paramount customer service but unfortunately, they could not solve the issue.
That is when I started looking for a possible fix on different forums and talked to a few experts.
I finally landed on a rather easy fix that solved the problem within seconds.
The Paramount Plus app not working on Samsung TV is likely due to an outdated app. To fix this issue, reinstall the app on your Samsung Smart TV via the app store.
Why is Paramount Plus not working on Samsung TV?
Before diving into the solutions, it is important to understand the reasons why Paramount Plus crashes on a Samsung TV.
- There are bugs in the Paramount Plus app or glitches in your Samsung TV.
- Your Paramount Plus app is not up-to-date.
- The operating system of your Samsung TV needs an update.
- Your Wi-Fi network is too slow or unstable.
Check Server Status
Before we move on to other solutions, make sure you check Paramount’s server status.
While it is a rare occurrence, the Paramount Plus app may not be working because of a global outage in the service.
You can check the status of Paramount servers on their help page.
In such a case, your app will start working once the services are restored.
Reinstall the Paramount Plus App on Samsung TV
An outdated app can be home to several bugs and glitches which can interfere with the functionality of the app.
Hence, it is imperative to ensure that the Paramount app is up to date.
To do this, you will have to uninstall and then reinstall the app on your Samsung TV.
Follow these steps:
- Long press the “Return/Exit” key on the remote to force shut the app.
- Press “Home” on the remote.
- Navigate to “Apps” from the menu on-screen.
- Click “Settings”.
- Select “Paramount Plus”.
- Click on “Delete”.
- Press the “Return/Exit” button on the remote to return to the Apps screen.
- In the search bar, enter “Paramount Plus”.
- Click “Install”.
- Open the app and enter your login details.
Check Internet Connectivity
If you’re facing a problem loading the Paramount app, the issue might be with your internet.
Slow or unstable internet can hinder the functionality of the Paramount App.
To ensure that the internet is not an issue, run a speed test.
If the speed is not up to the mark, restart your router and the modem.
Check Your Paramount Plus Subscription
At times, your Paramount Plus subscription can get canceled because of payment issues without a notification.
In such a case, you won’t be able to stream content.
To ensure this is not an issue, check your account status.
This can be done by following these steps:
- Open http://paramountplus.com/ in your browser.
- Sign in to your account
- Click on your username
- Click “Account”
- You can see the validity of your subscription here.
In case your subscription has expired, you will have to re-subscribe and re-add the payment method.
To reactivate your subscription, follow these steps:
- Open http://paramountplus.com/account in your browser.
- Navigate to the “Account” page.
- Click on “Subscribe Now” to restart your subscription.
Create a New User Profile
Sometimes, a glitch can affect a specific user profile in the Paramount Plus app.
To rule out this problem, create a new profile and check if you are able to stream content now.
To create a new profile in the Paramount Plus app on Samsung TV, follow these steps:
- Open the “Paramount Plus” app on your TV.
- Navigate to the profile photo located at the bottom-left of the screen.
- Click on the “+” icon to add a new profile.
- Enter a new name and save the profile.
- Re-launch the Paramount Plus app from “Home”.
- Select the new profile on startup.
Clear App Cache
To reduce the time required to load, apps save frequently accessed information as cache.
However, your smart TV’s resources are very limited.
Too much cache slows the TV down and hinders the performance of apps.
The stored cache can also affect the functionality of the paramount app.
In this case, it is imperative that you clear the cache.
To clear the cache of the Paramount Plus app on Samsung Smart TV, follow these steps:
- Press the “Home” button on your remote.
- Navigate to “Settings” from the on-screen menu and click on “Apps”.
- Select “System Apps”.
- Select the “Paramount Plus” app and click on “Clear Cache”.
You have tried everything you can with your Paramount Plus app on Samsung Smart TV.
If your app is still not working, try using the app on another device like a mobile phone or laptop.
If the app works fine there, the issue is being caused by your Samsung Smart TV.
Soft Reset Your Samsung TV
Streaming apps may face issues because of glitches in the TV.
Just like a laptop, a simple restart of your smart TV can get the apps working again.
To restart your Samsung TV, follow these steps:
- Using the remote: Press and hold the “Power” button on your remote till the TV turns off and on again. This should take 10-15 seconds.
- Without remote: Unplug the TV from the electric socket, wait for 30 seconds, plug it back in, and press the “Power” button on your TV.
Update Your Samsung Smart TV
When your apps auto-update in the background, some of them may lose compatibility with the current version of your TV’s software.
In such cases, you need to update your Samsung Smart TV to get the apps working again.
To update the software of your Samsung Smart TV
- Press the “Home” button on your remote control
- Navigate to “Settings”
- Go to “Support” and select the “Software Update” tab
- Click “Update Now”
- Once the download is finished, click on “Install”
Note: If there is no update available, this means your Smart TV is already up to date.
Reset Samsung Smart Hub
If updating your Samsung TV software does not work, the next step is to reset your Samsung Smart Hub.
Note: Resetting the Samsung Smart Hub will sign you out of every app installed on your smart TV.
Make sure you have the login information of all your apps handy before proceeding with this.
- Press “Home” on your remote control
- Navigate to “Settings” on the screen
- Click on “Support” and select “Service Care”
- Click “Self Diagnosis”. For TV models before 2020, you can find the “Self Diagnosis” option directly in the “Support” menu
- Click “Reset Smart Hub”
- If prompted for a pin, enter the default pin of 0000. Or, enter the pin that you’ve created while setting up your Samsung smart hub.
Update The DNS Configuration
Compatibility between all devices is essential to a great streaming experience.
The Paramount Plus app may not work if the DNS records on your TV’s cache do not match with those on your internet provider’s server.
To resolve this, you need to update the DNS configuration on your Samsung Smart TV.
- Access the router to view IP DNS settings.
- Go to “Settings” on your Samsung Smart TV’s home screen.
- Open “General”
- Click on “Network”.
- In the “Network Status” tab
- Click on “IP Settings”.
- Click on “DNS Settings”.
- Manually enter your IP DNS settings into the Samsung network connection
Factory Reset Samsung TV
If the Paramount Plus app is still not working on your Samsung Smart TV, the last option is to factory reset your TV.
This will remove all your preferences and the installed apps.
Make sure you have the login information of all the apps handy before moving forward.
To factory reset your Samsung Smart TV
- Press the “Home” button on your remote control
- Navigate to “Settings” and open the “General” tab
- Click “Reset”
- Enter your pin (If you have never created a pin, the default pin should be 0000)
- Press “OK” to begin the reset
Workaround: Cast Media From Your Phone
If it’s a major bug with your Paramount Plus app or Samsung TV, it may take a while to get it fixed.
Meanwhile, if you’re eager to watch your favorite shows on the big screen, the best option is to cast media from your phone to your TV..
This feature is supported on all ChroSamsung Smart TVs.
To stream Paramount Plus from an iOS or Android device, download the latest Paramount Plus app on your phone and connect your device to the same Wi-Fi network as your Samsung Smart TV.
After this, open the Paramount Plus app on your device, play the video you wish to watch, and click the “Cast” icon.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why can’t I stream Paramount Plus on my Smart TV?
Paramount Plus can only be streamed on limited Smart TVs which have compatible browsers with the streaming platform.
Does the Paramount Plus app work on all Samsung Smart TVs?
Paramount Plus app only works on Samsung Smart TV models released after 2017.
How do I get apps to update automatically on Samsung Smart TV?
You need to turn on the auto-update feature from Samsung Smart Hub.