I’ve been using my new 75″ TCL 6 Series TV for over 2 months without any issues.
After watching a late-night movie recently, I turned the TV off. The next morning, when I tried turning it back on, only the standby light started glowing.
I tried using the power button on both the remote and TV but it was still unresponsive.
Unsure about how to get the TV working again, I referred to the solution articles on the TCL website and other community forums.
Most people discussed about a faulty power supply board as a major cause for this issue.
I found the easiest way to get the TCL TV back on and also learned about some possible hardware issues related to the problem.
If your TCL TV won’t turn on, perform a power cycle on it. Unplug the TV from the wall outlet and wait for at least 60 seconds. Press and hold the power button for about 30 seconds. Plug the TV back in.
Power Cycle The TCL TV To Drain Any Excess Power
Power cycling your TCL TV allows it to restart itself completely. The process drains any excess power available in the TV before rebooting.
A simple power cycle is most likely to help get your TV back on.
Follow these steps:
- Unplug your TCL TV from the wall outlet
- Press and hold the physical power button on your TV for about 30 seconds
- Leave the TV unplugged for at least 60 seconds
- Plug the TV back in and press the power button on the remote or TV
- The TV should turn back on now
Soft Reset Your TV Remote If the Status Light is On
While the TV is plugged in, check if the status light located at the base of your TV is turned on.
If the light is on, it means that your TV is off or in standby mode. Note that if the status LED is off or blinking, it indicates that the TV is on and working.
Soft resetting the TV remote is an effective solution in case the status LED is turned on. Even if the TV is completely off, you can still try this method.
To soft reset the remote:
- Remove both batteries from the back of the remote
- Press and hold the power button on the remote for about 15 seconds
- Insert the batteries firmly and ensure that the + end of the battery is correctly inserted in the + end of the remote and vice versa
- Press the power button on the remote and check if the TV starts working normally
You can also try replacing the batteries if the remote is not working properly.
Inspect All Cable Connections For Damage
If your TCL TV won’t turn on at all, it may be due to a damaged or broken cable. Inspect all the cables connected to your TV including the power cord.
If you’ve got an external device such as a gaming console or streaming device connected to the TV, make sure to check the HDMI cable connected to the TV.
Try unplugging all cable connections and plugging them back in. Ensure that all the cables are firmly inserted in their respective ports.
Once all the cables are reinserted, press the power button on your remote and the TV should turn on normally.
Change The Power Outlet
Your TV might not be receiving enough power required to work properly due to a faulty wall outlet. Try changing the wall outlet and turning the TV on again.
If your TV is connected to a surge protector, try connecting the TV directly to a functioning wall outlet.
You can also check if the other devices connected to the surge protector are working properly.
Factory Reset Your TCL Roku TV Via Reset Button
As your TCL Roku TV won’t turn on, you won’t be able to access the factory reset option in the settings.
As an alternative, you can use the physical RESET button to force reset your TV.
The RESET button is usually located at the back of the TV near the power or input ports.
Note that a factory reset will remove all personal data, and installed channels, and revert all settings to factory defaults.
Prefer going for a factory reset only if the above solutions didn’t help get your TV back on.
- Use a straightened paper clip or ball-point pen to press and hold the recessed RESET button on your TV connector panel.
- Continue to hold the RESET button for about 12 seconds. When the reset cycle completes, the status light gets dim.
- Release the RESET button. The TV is now powered off.
- Try turning the TV on again and check if the picture starts coming up on the screen.
Note: The RESET button is available on TCL Roku TV models only. You won’t be able to force reset your Android or Google TV through this method.
Perform A Flashlight Test To Check For Backlight Damage
If a black screen appears on the TV while it is turned on, it’s possible due to a broken or faulty backlight.
A flashlight test is the most effective way to confirm if the backlight of your TV has failed.
- Ensure that your TV is plugged in properly and the power button is turned on
- Close all other lights in your room
- Now, point a flashlight closely at your TV screen
- If you notice dull images appearing on the TV screen, it indicates that the TV backlight might be broken
After you’ve confirmed that the backlight has failed, the backlight strips need to be replaced to fix the black screen issue.
While the replacement can be done at home, it’s a risky process as it involves separating the TV panel.
As the panel is taped down, it can easily crack while separating and lead to an expensive repair service.
Prefer getting the backlight strip replaced by a professional to avoid any extensive damage to the TV.
However, if you still choose to replace the backlight strip yourself, here’s how to do it:
- Ensure that the TV is unplugged
- Make sure that all cables are disconnected from the TV including ethernet and HDMI cables
- Unscrew the back cover and remove it
- Disconnect the ribbon cables from the scan drive boards
- Now unscrew the bottom of the TV that holds the bezel in place
- Disconnect and remove the speakers to ensure that they do not fall when the TV is flipped
- Flip the TV over and remove the bezel carefully
- Release the scan drive boards from the tabs
- Carefully flip up the scan drive boards and tape them to the panel
- Using suction cups, remove the TV panel
- Slowly release and remove the four pieces of the panel frame
- Tape all of the layers of diffusion on the corners to keep them together
- Remove the layers of diffusion and the clear plastic clips on top of the reflector sheet
- Remove the reflector sheet
- Now using small pliers, remove the small rivets that hold the strips to the chassis
- Remove the LED strips from the chassis
- It is recommended to use double-sided tape on the back of the strips when you are replacing them, instead of tape on the top of them
- Unplug the strips from the power supply cable so they can also be disconnected from each other. Push down on the tabs to release them
- The new strips mostly come with adhesive on the back of them to secure them to the chassis
- If the adhesive is not present, you can use double-sided tape and attach it to each strip
- Align the replacement strips properly and connect them with each other and to the power cable as well
- Finally, reinstall and fix all the parts of the TV carefully and plug in all the cable connections
After the replacement is done, your TV should turn back on and start working normally.
Replace the T-CON Board If The Screen Appears Dim
If your TCL TV screen appears grey and dim when it is turned on while the status light is off, it’s likely due to a faulty T-CON board.
You can go for an authorized repair service to get the T-CON board replaced and fix the issue.
Alternatively, if you want to replace the board yourself, get a T-CON Board for TCL TV online at Amazon or eBay.
Always verify if the board is compatible with your TV model before placing the order.
Follow these instructions carefully to replace the T-CON board on your TCL TV:
- To start with, carefully remove the rear panels of your TV
- Now slowly disconnect all the ribbon cables on the T-CON board
- Unscrew the screw so you can take out the older board
- Unbox the new T-CON board and assemble it right in place of the older one
Plug all the cables firmly in their respective ports and try turning on the TV. The display should be working properly now.
Contact TCL Support If The TV Won’t Turn On
If none of the troubleshooting methods helped get your TV back on, you can contact TCL Support for professional assistance.
The TCL customer support team may require your model and serial number along with a detailed problem description to suggest some possible fixes.
If your TV is under warranty, TCL also offers several repair or replacement services with minimal or no extra charges depending on the issue.
Get Back To The Best Viewing Experience On TCL TV
Your TCL TV might be on, but you may be unable to notice any video display if it is switched to an incorrect input source.
This usually occurs when your TV is connected to a streaming device or gaming console which is turned off or not working.
Try using the physical buttons on your TV to switch the input source.
You can change the input source by using the source button at the back of your TCL TV.
However, for some models, you need to use the Menu and Volume buttons located at the side of the TV to switch to your desired input.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I fix a TCL TV that keeps turning off?
If your TCL TV keeps turning off, try unplugging the TV for a few minutes and then plugging it back in. Also, make sure that the sleep timer isn’t on. If the issue persists, try resetting the TV to factory settings. If none of these solutions work, the issue might be with the TV’s hardware.
How do I contact TCL customer support?
To contact TCL customer support, visit their website and select your region. Then, select support and enter your TV’s model number. You can also reach out to TCL customer support via phone or email. You can contact TCL customer support at their toll-free number 1-877-300-8837. The phone line is available from Monday to Friday from 6:00 am to 12:00 am EST. For weekends, the timings are between 9:00 am to 6:00 pm EST.
How do I reset my TCL TV to factory settings?
Based on your TCL TV OS, the process of factory reset may vary. For TCL Android TVs, press the Settings button on the TV remote. Go to More Settings > Device Preferences > Reset. Select Factory data reset and click on Erase Everything. Enter the PIN displayed on the screen and click OK. You can use the physical RESET button available on the TCL Roku TVs to perform a factory reset.
Can a damaged HDMI cable cause a TCL TV not to turn on?
A damaged HDMI cable cannot cause a TCL TV not to turn on. However, a broken or damaged HDMI cable can lead to flickering dots or sparkle on the TV display. It can also be a potential reason for the black screen issue on your TCL TV. Replace the damaged or broken HDMI cable with a certified one for the best display and high-quality streaming or gaming.